The ability to delegate `try` but not `r+` permissions

Hi,

A scenario recently arose where we'd like to give someone try permissions, but not r+ permissions. Is this possible? As far as I can see, you can only grant neither or both.

Thanks

2 Likes

Not on a per-PR basis, but you can grant someone general try permissions by making them a Member in the Settings area on the dashboard.

Sorry.

2 Likes

Here’s another option: you can enable, for example, the Travis Pull Request builds (i.e. go into your Travis settings and enabling the Build pull requests option.)

That way, someone can see the results of running the Travis tests on their pull request without needing any Bors permissions.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

you can enable, for example, the Travis Pull Request builds

Sadly we are not using Travis. We are using a self-hosted buildbot instance. Our builds are demanding in terms of time and CPU, and we didn't want to pay for travis :wink:

Not on a per-PR basis, but you can grant someone general try permissions by making them a Member in the Settings area on the dashboard.

It's not quite what we are looking for. Our use case is as follows:

Members of our team have unconditional access to try and r+, although we never let the person raising the PR do the r+ themselves. That's enforced purely by convention. It'd be nice if Bors could enforce that, but in general, we trust our team, so that's not a huge problem.

However, occasionally we have project students and external people raise PRs against our repo. We'd like for them to be able to test their PRs, but without giving them the ability to merge stuff without a proper review.

I'd have thought that this was a fairly common scenario, and might be a nice addition to bors?

Thanks

Members can't merge stuff. Only Reviews can do that.

1 Like