Bors keeps timing out!

Your test suite might be too slow

The default timeout is an hour. Does your build regularly take longer than that? Then add a rule like this to your bors.toml file:

# Set bors's timeout to 4 hours
# https://ddg.gg/?q=4+hours+in+seconds
timeout-sec = 14400

If you don't have a bors.toml file, you'll also need to manually write out the CI systems it listens to. When no file is present, bors will try to guess, but if there is a file then you need to manually specify everything. For example:

status = [
  "continuous-integration/travis-ci/push",
  "continuous-integration/appveyor/branch",
  "ci/circleci",
  "continuous-integration/codeship",
]

Your CI system might not be building

Make sure that your CI system is configured for building the staging branch:

Your CI system might have an excessive backlog

Check in your CI's dashboard to make sure it doesn't have nineteen builds backlogging everything.

1 Like

Note that the timeout clock starts when bors pushes the commit to the staging branch; so unless your CI system always starts every build immediately, you may need to allow for other builds in the queue ahead of this build to complete (ie. set a timeout that is several multiples of the individual build time)

1 Like

I wiki-fied this post, so anybody can edit it, and added a note based on what seemed to be affecting rhusics.

@kvark I think I know why your Travis CI builds are timing out so much lately. Have you tried canceling a few of those builds and some of those PRs?

1 Like