Add an optional “draft/WIP pull request” section to the RFC template

When a user proposes a new RFC, it is common for them to have prepared a draft/work-in-progress (WIP) pull request that implements the proposed RFC. This can often be very helpful for reviewers of the RFC.

For example, in the recent squash-merge RFC, @markrobinson included a draft/WIP pull request with his RFC. This helped other members of the Bors community provide more concrete feedback on the RFC, and led to substantive discussion and changes to both the RFC and the pull request.

I think it would be good to add a “Draft/Work-in-Progress Pull Request (Optional)” section to the bottom of the Discourse template for RFCs.

Of course, this section would be purely optional.

What do people think of this idea?

This seems like a pretty small change to the RFC template, which is why I didn’t make a process RFC. But I’m happy to make a process RFC if @notriddle or anyone else would like a more formal discussion of this idea.

1 Like

That is tempting. And I agree that, since this doesn't actually change anything about the process, we can probably just add it to the template without having to go through a month-long waiting period.

Since I'd like to avoid adding a bunch of single-line sections to the template, I'd guess it should look like this:

# Unresolved questions

bla bla bla

# Future possibilities

bla bla bla

# See also

If this RFC already has a draft Pull Request, link to it here:

* Implemented by <https://github.com/bors-ng/bors-ng/pull/____>

If you've got some other link that doesn't belong in any of the other sections,
but seems relevant to the pull request, link to it here as well.

If you don't have anything to put in this section, just remove the whole section.
1 Like

That format looks good to me!

Okay, it's been added!

1 Like